General Guidelines: To apply for a Non-Immigrant Visa
The U.S. Embassy Nouakchott utilizes an online appointment system for Non-Immigrant visa applications. Appointments are available Mondays and Wednesdays excluding U.S. and Mauritanian Holidays. Applicants applying for H, L, O, P, Q, R, or K3/K4 at consularNKC@state.gov to set up an appointment during a time reserved for these types of visas.
We recommend that you apply at least four (4) weeks in advance of your departure date to allow enough time for the administrative procedures that are sometimes necessary prior to the visa issuance. Applicants subject to these procedures will be informed at the interview time.
You will need to bring with you an identification document other than the passport to access to the consular waiting room. This document will be kept at the Embassy guard post until you are ready to exit the Embassy Compound.
Visa recipients generally receive their passports the next day after visas are printed.
Children13 years old and under are exempt from visa interviews. Their parents or legal guardians should present themves at the Embassy in their place.
Payment Procedure for the Nonimmigrant Visa application fee
Applicants for official visas are exempt from this fee. Please contact the Consular Section with any questions regarding exemption prior to the interview. All other Nonimmigrant visa applicants - regardless of age - must pre-pay a non-refundable visa application fee before appearing for the visa interview. The fee is the equivalent of $160 and must be paid in Ouguiya at the central branch (Agence Centrale) of BMCI (La Banque Mauritanienne pour le Commerce International) located on Avenue Gamal Abdel Nasser. The bank will issue an individual receipt with the name of the visa applicant. This receipt is valid for one year and only one interview. For information on visa fees visit: http://travel.state.gov/visa/temp/types/types_1263.html#temp
The fee is 190 US$ for the following visa categories:
- H (temporary worker),
- L (intracompany transferee),
- O (alien with extraordinary ability),
- P (internationally recognized athlete or entertainer),
- Q (participant in international cultural exchange program),
- R ( alien in religious occupation)
Visa applicants of these categories will need to pay a differential of $30 at the U.S. Embassy.
In some cases, a "reciprocity fee" may be required once the visa has been authorized, but before the visa can be issued. Reciprocity fees vary by visa type and the nationality of the applicant. This is based on what individual governments charge U.S. citizens for the equivalent visa. When applicable, the reciprocity fee is paid to the consular cashier following the interview. Mauritanian citizens are not required to pay any reciprocity fee. You may visit the Department of State's Reciprocity Fee Website to learn if your application requires a reciprocity fee.
Documents needed for the visa application:
- A passport valid for at least six months.
- A receipt from BMCI bank for the non-refundable application fee in ouguiya (equivalent to $160 U.S. Dollars.)
- Nonimmigrant Visa Application form filled out completely online at: https://ceac.state.gov/genniv/ U.S. Embassy Nouakchott will only accept applications filled out online. Additional instructions are available by clicking on the "Application Forms" link on the menu on the left.
- A full frontal view color photograph against a white or off-white background is required. The photograph must be taken in the last six months and must measure 5 cm x 5 cm with the head centered in the frame and measuring 2.5 cm. Applicants must upload their photograph electronically onto the DS-160 form, they should bring one photo to the U.S. Embassy with the confirmation receipt from the DS-160 application.
- Applicants may choose to bring proof of ties to Mauritania through additional documentation. The consular officer will determine if any additional proof is needed and other documents will only be considered if the officer requests them.
- During the interview your ten index fingers will be scanned by an inkless device.
U.S. Embassy in Nouakchott, Mauritania
Street Address: 288, rue 42-100, (rue Abdallaye)
Mailing Address: BP 222, Nouakchott, Mauritania
Phone : (222) 4525-2660 or 2663, ext. 4551
Fax : (222) 4525-1592
Questions: please contact us at ConsularNKC@state.gov.