General Guidelines: To apply for a Non-Immigrant Visa
The U.S. Embassy Nouakchott utilizes an online appointment system for Non-Immigrant visa applications. Appointments are available Mondays and Wednesdays excluding U.S. and Mauritanian Holidays. Applicants applying for H, L, O, P, Q, R, or K3/K4 at consularNKC@state.gov to set up an appointment during a time reserved for these types of visas.
We recommend that you apply at least four (4) weeks in advance of your departure date to allow enough time for the administrative procedures that are sometimes necessary prior to the visa issuance. Applicants subject to these procedures will be informed at their interview.
You will need to bring with you an identification document other than the passport to access to the consular waiting room. This document will be kept at the Embassy guard post until you are ready to exit the Embassy Compound.
Visa recipients generally receive their passports the next day after visas are printed.
Children 13 years old and under are exempt from visa interviews. Their parents or legal guardians should present themselves at the Embassy in their place.
Applicants for A-3, G-5, NATO-7, H, J, and B-1 personal domestic servant visas need to read and understand the contents of the Legal Rights and Protections Pamphlet prior to their interviews.
Payment Procedure for the Nonimmigrant Visa application fee
Starting January 1, 2015, all Nonimmigrant Visa (NIV) applicants at the U.S. Embassy in Nouakchott will be required to pay the machine-readable visa (MRV) fee on the day of their interview at the Embassy. The MRV fee can be paid in cash, in either U.S. dollars or Ouguiya equivalent. Credit cards are not accepted. The Embassy strongly encourages applicants to bring the exact amount of the MRV fee.
Please note that valid MRV fee receipts from BMCI bank will still be accepted for up to one year after the issuance date.
For information on visa fees visit: http://travel.state.gov/visa/temp/types/types_1263.html#temp
The fee is $160 for the following visa categories:
- B1/B2 (Business/Pleasure)
- F (Student)
- J (Exchange Visitor)
The fee is $190 for the following visa categories:
- H (temporary worker),
- L (intracompany transferee),
- O (alien with extraordinary ability),
- P (internationally recognized athlete or entertainer),
- Q (participant in international cultural exchange program),
- R (alien in religious occupation)
In addition to the $160 fee for Business/Pleasure visas, Mauritanian nationals are required to pay a $70 reciprocity fee if their visa is approved. This fee is paid at the Embassy, after your visa interview. For other nationalities, you may visit the Department of State's Reciprocity Fee Website to learn if your application requires a reciprocity fee.
Documents needed for the visa application:
- A passport valid for at least six months.
- Cash (U.S. dollars or Ouguiyas) to pay for the visa and reciprocity fees.
- Nonimmigrant Visa Application form filled out completely online at: https://ceac.state.gov/genniv/ U.S. Embassy Nouakchott will only accept applications filled out online. Additional instructions are available by clicking on the "Application Forms" link on the menu on the left.
- A full frontal view color photograph against a white or off-white background is required. The photograph must be taken in the last six months and must measure 5 cm x 5 cm with the head centered in the frame and measuring 2.5 cm. Applicants must upload their photograph electronically onto the DS-160 form, they should bring one photo to the U.S. Embassy with the confirmation receipt from the DS-160 application.
- Applicants may choose to bring proof of ties to Mauritania through additional documentation. The consular officer will determine if any additional proof is needed and other documents will only be considered if the officer requests them.
- During the interview your ten index fingers will be scanned by an inkless device. For more information on biometric collection, please visit this site.
U.S. Embassy in Nouakchott, Mauritania
Street Address: 288, rue 42-100, (rue Abdallaye)
Mailing Address: BP 222, Nouakchott, Mauritania
Phone : (222) 4525-2660 or 2663, ext. 4551
Fax : (222) 4525-1592
Questions: please contact us at ConsularNKC@state.gov.