Report Birth Abroad
If you are a U.S. citizen and the parent of a child born out of the United States, you will need to document your child’s U.S. citizenship with a Consular Report of Birth Abroad (CRBA). This document is used in the United States like a certified copy of a birth certificate, and it is acceptable evidence of citizenship for obtaining a passport or entering school in the USA.
For your CRBA application, please follow the three steps below:
Step 1: Application Form
Complete the DS-2029. Make sure that sections 1 to 15 are answered completely, as this information is mandatory.
Step 2: Supporting documents and fees
You will need all of the following:
- The child’s birth certificate.
- Proof of citizenship of the U.S. citizen parent(s). Your current passport is the preferred form of proof. Your U.S. birth certificate or naturalization certificate is also acceptable.
- Proof of the relationship between the U.S. citizen parent(s) and the child. Your child’s birth certificate with both parents’ names on it is the best form of proof.
- If you are married, a marriage certificate is the best form of proof. If you have prior marriages, you must prove they have ended. A divorce certificate is the best form of proof in this case.
- Evidence that U.S. citizen parent lived in the United States long enough to transmit citizenship to the child.
- The cost of CRBA is $100. Fees are collected in cash in U.S. dollars or the equivalent in ouguiya. You may also pay with credit card.
Note: All foreign language documents must be translated into English.
Step 3: Schedule an appointment
CRBA appointments are on Thursday mornings and scheduled using an online system. Please click here to schedule an appointment.
For more information about applying for a CRBA, please visit the U.S. Department of State’s website on Consular Reports of Birth Abroad. If you have further questions, please contact us using the information on the right.
Consular Section U.S. Embassy Nouakchott
Phone: (222) 4525-2660 ext. 4551
Fax: (222) 4525-1592
Duty Officer: 3662-8163
All downloadable documents on this page are provided in PDF format. To view PDFs you must have a copy of Adobe Acrobat Reader. You may download a free version by clicking the link above.